Jobs for February...
Now that the daylight hours are getting slightly longer, we can welcome more visitors, keen on gardening, to the centre. The plant area changes with the seasons, offering interest and a huge range of perennials, shrubs and climbers for your garden and patio.
- Start off many seedlings including annuals, Summer vegetables like Lettuce, Cabbage and Beetroot.
BULBS & SEEDS
- Plant now – ready growing potfuls of Snowdrops, Crocus, Iris, Daffodils and Narcissi and Tulips.
- A large range of seeds in store now from flowers to vegetables. Just ask us if you require any help or advice.
- Start hardy vegetables for planting out in April.
- Fresh stocks just arrived, including Raspberries and Strawberries.
- Peaches and Grapes can now be planted in the greenhouse.
- Last chance to spray Mortegg Winter Wash to clean up ‘over wintering pests’.
- Choose vegetable seeds now.
- Dig over non-dug plots ready for Spring
- Apply manure to vegetable plots
- Pot potatoes for chitting – large variety available now in store.
- A choice selection of late Winter to early Spring blooming perennials and shrubs continue to arrive in our plant area.
- New stocks of alpines, due in towards the end of the month, to brighten up your borders.
- Why not build a rockery or a trough garden.
FEED THE BIRDS
- We stock a fattening feast of wild bird seed and snacks to keep their little pecker’s up during the cold months.
PLANTS LOOKING GOOD THIS MONTH
- Helleborus – including the ‘Christmas Rose’.
- Corylus avellana contorta – Twisted Hazel.
- Daphne mezereum – Scented flowers.
- Sarcococca – Christmas Box, fantastically sweetly scented.