Jobs for June...
The beginning of Summer is now upon us and it’s time to continue with those planned projects. Brighten up borders, plant up hanging baskets and tubs with Sumer colour and watch them bloom!
- Water Onions well to ensure the bulbs swell.
- Pinch out tips of Broad Beans to discourage blackfly.
- Feed all plants and water regularly during dry spells
- Pull up soil around Main-Crop potatoes.
- Start harvesting first early potatoes.
- Plant out runner and French beans.
- Plant out purple sprouting broccoli plants.
- Thin out hardy annual seedlings sown directly into soil.
- To prevent scorching and overheating of tender young plants, paint the glass using a shade paint such as ‘Cool Glass’. Alternatively, use greenhouse shading.
- Feed all plants at least once a week.
- Make sure your greenhouse is well ventilated.
- Plant Cucumbers, Melons and Peppers.
- Set seeds for Autumn Pansies and Violas at the end of the month.
- Stake tomatoes and take any side shoots out of cordon plants.
- Watch out and spray for greenfly.
- Remove blanket weed from ponds by twirling it around a stick.
- Check filters and pumps to ensure they are not blocked.
- Plant Summer bedding.
- Fill window boxes, troughs and hanging baskets.
- Spray Roses with Rose Clear to control pests and diseases.
- Water in well, all newly planted shrubs and perennials.
- Watch out for pests and diseases in all areas and spray when necessary.
- Deadhead and pinch out bedding plants to encourage growth.
- Keep baskets and pots well watered.
- Mow lawns more frequently.
- Apply Westlands Aftercut All in One Weed & Feed – now in stock.
- Use Westlands Aftercut Patch Fix for any small bare patches or sow seed on larger areas if not too dry.
- Harvest Rhubarb regularly – don’t allow flower spikes to form.
- Protect soft fruit by covering with netting.
- Place straw under Strawberry plants to protect from slugs.
PLANTS LOOKING GOOD THIS MONTH
- Bedding plants.
- Hosta varieties