Jobs for March...
The weather is hopefully improving, the soil is getting warmer and the sight of yellow drifts of Daffodils greets the Spring. The gardening season now gets busier and busier.
BULBS & SEEDS
- Plant now – Spring flowering bulbs ready growing in pots e.g. Daffodils, Crocus, Tulips, Snowdrops, Eranthus, Frittilaria.
- Sow now – many varieties of annuals for Summer colour.
- Start off many seedlings including annuals, Summer vegetables like Lettuce, Cabbage and Beetroot.
- Prune roses.
- Cut back and clean up Winter flowering Heathers.
- Hebes need checking over after the Winter frosts.
- After all the rain washing through the soil, feed all borders now with chicken manure or fish, blood and bone and/or mulch with farmyard manure.
- Plant perennials and alpines in borders, rockeries, troughs and walls.
- Plant now from a full range of bush fruit and fruit trees.
- Mulch or manure the fruit bed.
- Plan for some home grown vegetables, however small a plot you have.
- Plant Asparagus, early Potatoes and Shallots.
AVAILABLE IN STORE
- Great garden accessories and tools.
- Summer flowering bulbs (Begonias, Gladioli, Lilies and Dahlias) ready to be planted.
- A huge range of seed trays and containers available for sowing through to potting up.
- Distinctive gifts.
PLANTS LOOKING GOOD THIS MONTH
- Chaenomeles – Quince.
- Primulas and Polyanthus.
- Daffodils and Narcissi.
- Kilmarnock Willow